Thursday, September 13, 2012

understandably so


I am excited.

It doesn’t really show in my haggard face since I only had 3 hrs of sleep (downed 4 red horse and one super dry last night at the Popshoppe – felt a gritting hangover the morning after) and I need to offset 3 hours tonight for my Masteral classes this Saturday. But I really am.

First, my band and I will go on a movie date for Marie Jamora’s excellent opus Ang Nawawala in Megamall tomorrow. We are that sweet. The four of us decided not so long ago to spend ample time together doing mundane activities so that we won’t be just another band whose only connection is music. Somehow it did improve our relationship with each other. People tend to underestimate the dynamics of being in a band. It’s not all technicalities. You have to live with each other's differences. You need to stand each other's annoying perks without affecting your work ethic. You say marriage is hard? Try being committed to 2 guys and a gal. It needs lot of hard work. 4 years in the box and we think we’re still happy as a bumblebee. We’re going to be off to Saguijo after the movie for the Revolver gig.

Second, only 3 days have gone and our artisteconnect project (http://www.artisteconnect.com/projects/your-imaginary-friends-silence-is-a-villain-ep) has already reached 24 percent. 32 people have pledged and we are positively expecting more. I am honestly overwhelmed by the sudden surge of interest. Hope we reach at least 50 percent so we can slash a big chunk of our expenses. Making music and recording it in a quality studio is not a cheap past time. This is definitely a big pat on our shoulder to still do what we do.


poster by Em Aquino and Pau Dela Torre


Third, I organized a gig this Saturday at Black Bird cafe called “Something About Doors” where Your Imaginary Friends will be playing with our brother bands Randy Corpuz and Dirty Hate. One bad ass family in one roof! Plus, my side project indie folk band Everyday, Airplanes will have their debut performance that night. I play the ukulele in this project. Not doing the cute, Jason Mraz style, thank you very much. We can’t afford the banjo so my little guitar will do for now. We have rehearsed 3 times in the span of 3 months. I hope our lazy asses won’t disappoint those curious ears.  And I hope our Caucasian friend Steve (which the gig is dedicated to – a sort of farewell party for him) will find time to attend the gig.

2 songs are down for the new EP of Your Imaginary Friends, 2 more to pin down and we’re still debating the 5th song. Go for an indie pop ditty to balance the stark heaviness of the theme or cap off the album with an ambient noise gem for a cohesive finish? Either way, the band is excited of the direction that we are slowly progressing to. Can’t wait to let everyone hear the finished product.

Now, how to be productive...

No comments:

Post a Comment