Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I DREAMT OF FINALLY TALKING TO YOU





I dreamt of finally talking to you.

your almost-mechanical smile, now hidden in my dying brown wallet
as a pocket-sized artifact,
rippled into a clumsy giggle
against the noise of the morning rush.

I can only hold my breath for too long to savor the echo for breakfast.

"the greatest thing since The Smiths 
and peanut butter", I teased.

I forgot to ask where we are,
if you have found yourself now.

I was not brave enough to bargain 
for answers, but 
restraint is never my strongest suit.

so I stirred my coffee, clanking 
the sides of the cup with my spoon 
nervously hinting that we've ran 
out of sugar this early.

I never really knew how the dream ended
or we,

but I choose not to know now.

No comments:

Post a Comment